Are web searching tools WAIS-based?

Jo Ann Mandinach joannm at pls.com
Sun Oct 15 02:50:25 EDT 1995

At 2:59 PM 10/14/95, Nick Arnett wrote:

>There are about 50 search and retrieval companies in the United States.
>Verity and Fulcrum are the big ones, the others are all quite small in
>comparison.

Nick --

Sorry. But I find your remarks a bit disingenuous. Dataware, OpenText and
InText are hardly small.

And Personal Library Software's partner list is hardly unknown to
informational professionals including but not limited to
Knight-Ridder/Dialog (www.dialog.com) America Online, Apple, Dow Jones
News/Retrieval, Bertelsmann, Congressional Quarterly, Grolier, Financial
Times Information Services, Prodigy, DataTimes, NewsNet, Time-Warner
(www.pathfinder.com)  Ziff/Thompson, MecklerMedia, Electronic NewsStand,
Footage.net. Baseline, Internet Company, TimeLine Publishing, US House of
Representatives.....

Our Web-based search tools are based on the same scalable
industrial-strength search technology that's been widely praised in the
professional literature for the efficient new Dow Jones Text Search
Library, DataTimes's EyeQueue service, and NewsNet's Baton service.

http://www.pls.com         (See PLS in Print for these reviews and others.)

And our corporate customers like Hewlett-Packard, ATT (www.att.net), KPMG,
etc. aren't too shabby either.

Nick's comments aside, I'd be interested reactions / suggestions from
professional searchers on the version of Medline we just launched with AOL
on the Web. It's accessible via the keyword HEALTH.

Thanks much.
Jo Ann Mandinach

Jo Ann Mandinach, Personal Library Software
    Dir. of Information Industry Partnerships
       Download PLWeb 2.0.  You'll be in good company.
            http://www.pls.com/   415 329-8655