Nercomp SIG Program / October 20

MARY A. DOYLE, SYSTEMS LIBRARIAN, ECSU DOYLEM at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU
Thu Oct 12 18:37:18 EDT 1995

From:	ECSU::DOYLEM       "MARY A. DOYLE, SYSTEMS LIBRARIAN, ECSU" 12-OCT-1995 18:33:37.57
To:	SMTP%"conntech at neal.ctstateu.edu"
CC:	DOYLEM
Subj:	Nercomp SIG Program / October 20

From:	SMTP%"William.F.Barry at Dartmouth.EDU" 12-OCT-1995 18:25:09.17
To:	DOYLEM
CC:
Subj:	Virtual Library:  Oct. 20th, Nercomp Workshop at ECSU

Date: 12 Oct 95 18:23:51 EDT
From: William.F.Barry at Dartmouth.EDU (William F. Barry)
Subject: Virtual Library:  Oct. 20th, Nercomp Workshop at ECSU
To: DOYLEM at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU

--- Forwarded Message from William.F.Barry at Dartmouth.EDU (William F. Barry) ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 14:48:10 -0400 (EDT)
>From: William.F.Barry at Dartmouth.EDU (William F. Barry)
>Subject: Virtual Library:  Oct. 20th, Nercomp Workshop at ECSU
>To: nercomp.irs at smith.smith.edu, nercomp.board at smith.smith.edu,
>        nedac at williams.edu

Nercomp Workshop Announcement

BUILDING THE VIRTUAL LIBRARY :
THE REINVENTION OF INFORMATION SERVICES
Friday, October 20, 1995
8:30 A.M.  -  4:00 P.M.
Community Room, New Classroom Building
Eastern Connecticut State University
Willimantic, Connecticut 06226

The Library and Information Technology Special Interest Group is pleased to
announce a one day conference on building the virtual library to be held
on October 20, 1995 at Eastern Connecticut State University.  This conference
will be chaired by Mary Anne Doyle, Systems Librarian, Eastern Connecticut
State University

This conference is designed for librarians and others interested in the
delivery of information through technology.  All presenters have extensive
practical experience in providing library services using the Internet including
the World Wide Web, local area networks, broad-band telecommunications,
integrated library systems and other current technologies.  They are also
experienced in managerial issues related to the delivery of library services to
remote sites.

Program

8:00 A.M. -  8:30 A.M.  Registration and Coffee

8:30 A.M.  -  10:00 A.M. Delivering Library Services to Multiple Locations
Through Electronic Networks : A Case Study  presented by Carol West, Network
Librarian and Ed Daniels, Periodicals Librarian, New Hampshire College

A presentation detailing the technical and managerial aspects of delivering
information resources to both far flung locations and a dispersed clientele.

10:00 A.M. - 10:15 A.M. Break

10:15 A.M.  - 11:45 A.M.  GPO Access on the World Wide Web : an example of
CGI's and WAIS-Based Search and Retrieval Systems  presented by John
Rutherford, Systems Librarian, Central Connecticut State University and Systems
Coordinator for Consuls * and Mary A. Doyle, Systems Librarian, Eastern
Connecticut State University  (*Consuls is a.k.a the Connecticut State
University Library System).

A survey of the development of Gateway resources on the World Wide Web.  The
presentation will include a demonstration of the GPO Access Gateway as well as
general information on the basics of programming gateways on UNIX systems.

11:45  - 12:45  Lunch

12:45 P.M. - 2:15 P.M. Providing Nationwide Library Services : Technology and
the Human Element presented by Katherine Holmes, Ludcke Library, Lesley College

Experiences of a librarian serving virtual patrons from Lesley College.  How
does one conduct a reference interview over the Internet?  How does one
communicate a "smile" using e-mail? Discussion will center around the reality
that any "virtual" library is indeed composed of real human beings.

2:15 - 2:30  Break

2:30 P.M. -  4:00 P.M. Connectivity and Content : The Dartmouth College
Information System presented by Eric Bivona, Dartmouth College

An overview of the Dartmouth College Information System (DCIS), including its
access to full-text, multimedia, and remote resources.  Some of the issues
concerning such resources will be discussed including copyright, licensing,
integration, and maintenance.
-----------------------------------
see also
 http://www.dartmouth.edu/nercomp
Directions to Eastern Connecticut State University, Willimantic Connecticut

Eastern Connecticut State University is located approximately 45 miles
Providence, Rhode Island. It is located in the northeast corner of Connecticut.

>From Boston, Massachusetts:
Take Exit 10 off the Mass. Pike onto Route 395 south.  Follow Route 395 until
you come to Danielson/Willimantic/Route 6 exit.  Follow Route 6 west around
rotary and continue approximately 17 miles until you come to a sign for Route 6
and turnoff onto a 4-lane highway.  Take first exit off highway marked for
Eastern Connecticut State University/Route 195.  At stop sign take a left and
go on-half mile to next stop sign.  Take a left onto High Street.   Just as you
crest the hill and before you get to Windham High School (on your left),
Eastern Road is on your right.  This places you on the north campus.

>From Providence, Rhode Island:
Take Route 6 West.  After entering Connecticut proceed approximately 17 miles
until you come to a sign for Route 6 and turnoff onto a 4-lane highway.  Take
first exit off highway marked for Eastern Connecticut State University/ Route
195.  At stop sign take a left and go on-half mile to next stop sign.   Take a
left onto High Street.  Just as you crest the hill and before you get to
Windham High School (on  your left), Eastern Road is on your right.  This
places you on the north campus.

>From Springfield, Massachusetts and points North:
Take Route 91 south to Enfield/Route 190 exit.  Follow Route 190 east to
Stafford Springs and junction with Route 32 south.  Follow 32 south to
Willimantic city line (cemetery will be on your right and highway overpass
directly in front of you.)  At stop light, take a left onto Route 6 east.  Go
to next exit which is marked for Eastern Connecticut State University/Route
195.  At end of ramp, take a right onto High Street.  Just as you crest the
hill and before you get to Windham High School (on your left),
Easter Road is on you right.  This places you on the north campus.

>From points west:
Take I-84 east through Hartford to Route 384 (Exit 59).  Pick up Route 6 in
Bolton.  At intersection of Route 6 and 66 in Columbia, continue (left) on
Route 6 toward Willimantic.  Take exit marked for Eastern Connecticut State
University/Route 195.  At end of ramp, turn right onto High Street.  As you
crest the hill, and before you get to Windham High School (on your left),
Eastern Road is on your right.  This places you on the north campus.

--------------------------------
Registration Form:
	Building a Virtual Library : The Reinvention of Information Services

Name:___________________________________________

Title:____________________________________________

Department:_______________________________________

Institution:________________________________________

Phone:___________________________________________

Address:__________________________________________

State:____________________________________________

Zip:_____________  E-Mail Address_____________________

Check enclosed:_____________      Will pay at door__________

Fees:  NERCOMP Members:  $50,    Non-members:$125

Registration includes conference, materials, refreshments and box lunch.
Please indicate here if you prefer a vegetarian lunch.  Please make checks
payable to NERCOMP & register by                     .
No refunds will be made for cancellations received after                 .
You may FAX your registration to (508) 685-4422 and pay at the door.
If you have any questions please call (508) 682-4100.
A $15 billing fee will be added for any post-conference billing.

NERCOMP
Countryside Offices
707 Turnpike Street
North Andover, MA 01845