recent discussion of WWW cataloging?

R124C41 at aol.com R124C41 at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 11:28:41 EDT 1995

I think we will see the rise of whole spectra of catalog mechanisms,
moderated sub-webs (you know, people getting together in a club and agreeing
only to link to each other and having entrance criteria), extensive hot list
(e.g., personal catalog) support tools, etc.  With cataloging we are going to
have a situation of "everyone's going to get into the act".

Right now the information on the web is still pretty filtered in that it
takes a certain technical education to put up a site (though not much) and
that puts up a certain hurdle.

Eventually, though, (and maybe it has already happened) you are going to see
more and more chaff in with your wheat.  Not only that but one person's wheat
is going to be another person's chaff.  [Is there a pschic hotline web site
yet?  Oops, pardon me, my bias is showing...]

I am tempted to describe the prior, pre-web, pre-gopher era as being the dark
ages in which only the clergy of the technological church had access to
electronic information.

Now we are in the Renaissance...with art and science in full flower...Will we
go through the industrial period (commericalization) and then reach the point
where the internet takes on the familiar characteristics of a vast wasteland
and the only way we survive is returning to live in cloistered communities
with guards at the gate?

Hmmm...I don't know.

--David Ritchie
--Naperville, Il