Web Search Software

Kevin C. Marsh iai at sam.neosoft.com
Sun Oct 8 20:22:54 EDT 1995

>Our library would like to add some software that will make our entire web
>site searchable.  We know that there are freeware web search engines (like
>WAIS), but we were wondering what else might be out there.  Can anyone
>recommend a good search software for a web site?  If it is free or low
>cost, that will be even better.

I recommend freeWAIS-sf because it is WAIS compliant and allows indexing and
searching of structured fields of information.  ISITE is another good system
to look at.  ISITE is compliant with the more recent version of Z39.50 and
has some tools for structured fields, but does not have the flexibility to
index customized data structures without a significant programing effort.
Please ensure that the system you select is compliant with the Z39.50
standard.  Libraries need to set a good example for the rest of the Net on
this issue!

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director, Information Access Institute
IAI at neosoft.com