LC for URLs? Who should do this? Why?

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Tue Nov 28 10:33:10 EST 1995

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, David Goldman wrote:

> Are there any current models for Marc records that would
> include the URL? How does one propose to check and update
> its location? I believe this can be done with a web application
> the notifies the recipient of any changes to its location.
> Any suggestions...?

Actually, yes, it's in the 856 field. here's an example of such a
record:

001    8799626
008    820923c19829999vaudn1ne      0uuua0eng dcas7a
022 0  0734-7456
222 00 USA today
245 00 USA today
260 00 Arlington, Va. :|bGannett Co.,|c1982-
300    v. :|bill. ;|c59 cm
362 0  Vol. 1, no. 1 (Sept. 15, 1982)-
856  7 |uhttp://www.usatoday.com|zView today's issue of USA Today

The checking of valid URLs could be done automatically; a robot could be
sent out to look for the links which have been included in the OPAC
periodically, and then the appropriate person informed via e-mail or some
other means in order for that person to either decide to look for the
information again, look for an alternate source, or just eliminate the
record from the catalog.

I think such an application should be standard fare for a mid-to-large
Website housekeeping anyway; it's hard to keep track of more than a dozen
anchors pointing elsewhere on the Web.