Qualifications, Salaries, and the rest...

Bruce Gilbert, Avatar of Library Systems BRUCE at LIB.DRAKE.EDU
Tue Nov 21 14:13:45 EST 1995

While the recent spate of postings RE: the Oregon job are not about a
"webmaster" per se, I thought that the enclosed might provide some
enlightenment (or fuel to the fire, depending on your perspective)
in that it shows how things are in the private sector.  Granted, most
of us don't work for "big companies" but I doubt that'll keep you from
shedding a tear as you see what your compatriots are making in the
world of Wheaties and Levis.  I got this from Edupage a couple of
weeks ago:

WEBMASTERS IN GREAT DEMAND
A Web Week survey reports that "Webmasters at big companies generally enjoy
responsibility, authority and respectable remuneration."  The typical
webmaster is male (87.5%), in his 30s (55%), earns more than $45,000 a year
(57.5%), and often more than $65,000 a year (37.5%).  Rather than being
nerdy troglodytes who emerge from their dens only for another meal of
nachos, Cheez Whiz and Jolt cola, Web Week found that many webmasters play
a leading role in developing their companies' online strategies.  And many of
them don't like the name "webmaster," suggesting instead webmeister,
webmasochist, or "all-knowing and -seeing ruler of time, dimension and
space" as alternatives.  (Tampa Tribune 6 Nov 95 A2)

--
 Bruce Gilbert             http://www.drake.edu/bgil/www/bruce/bruce.html
"God save us from a state where everyone goes around imitating lawyers."