Downloading

dburt at nypl.org dburt at nypl.org
Tue Nov 21 11:26:28 EST 1995

     At NYPL in our public access PCs we use a four-pronged approach to
     protect against virus and hacking:

     1) The BIOS is secured.  We set the system password on so that users
     cannot access it.  This requires that the librarians know the system
     password when they turn on the machine each morning.  The boot option
     is also set so that the machine will not boot from the floppy drives.

     2) We have an anti-virus program, Central Point Anti-Virus, which
     loads at start-up.

     3) We have a security program called Integrity for Windows.  This
     program is sometimes awkward to work with but it is very powerful.
     Integrity allows us to block access to any directory or sub-directory
     we select.  Integrity also blocks access to the Windows file options.
     Users cannot delete or change files or directories outside of the
     groups we allow them to.  They can, however, fill up the hard drive
     with junk, which is not too serious.

     Most importantly for hacking and viruses, Integrity blocks the
     execution of executable files from the floppy drives.

     4)  Finally, all important system files, such as .exe's and .ini's  in
     the directories not blocked by Integrity have the Read Only attribute
     turned on.

     So far, this system has worked very well, although I'm sure it's only
     a matter of time before some clever hacker with nothing better to do
     figures out a way to screw things up.  When that happens, we'll just
     plug in one of our ZIP drives with a mirror of the default setup and
     reset the thing.

     David Burt, The New York Public Library