Only a few minutes ..

Jie Tian tian at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 21 10:56:13 EST 1995

I did a similar presentation not too long ago and used about 10 minutes
to cover what the WWW computer networks offer to libraries.  I know it can
be so challenging and how it would leave us of feeling of inadequacy talking
about the web in just 5-10 minutes!

In a nutshell, I tried to highlight two essentials.  One, the very feature
of WWW that perfects resource sharing in networked environment -- hypertext
links & "see"/"see also" references; support for multimedia format
whether text, images, sounds, or others; multiprotocol support that
bridges the gap of distributed information systems in one interface,
i.e. one can use telnet, gopher, ftp, news and such on a web page.

Two, emphasis on types of resources supported by web technology
that exponentially expand any library's local resources. 1)
telnet-supported catalogs around the world; 2) open access databases like
Uncover; 3) locally deveoped databases like the ABSEE; 4) virtual
libraries and the wealth of information brought about by web publishing
using HTML.

I'd love to hear what others have done in 10 minutes or so.

Jie Tian
tian at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu