Java, Blacbird and The Future of the Web

Karen G. Schneider kschneid at umich.edu
Tue Nov 21 08:08:45 EST 1995

>The City of Santa Fe's MIS department has proudly arranged for us to have
>29 brand new, count 'em, 29, 4MB machines for our soon-to-arrive (and no,
>up to now we haven't had one) online public access catalog.

Hmmm... I wonder how much these folks are getting paid to make THESE
decisions... it's really  dangerous to backseat-drive, and I've made my
share of bad decisions, but 4mb?  In late 1995?

As for relations being "excellent," I'm glad to hear you aren't having
budget cuts or anything like that, and congrats on an online catalog, but
it's not clear that your automation needs are being met--or are
well-understood. Stress isn't always bad; it often indicates that people
are attempting to communicate.

Karen G. Schneider * kschneid at umich.edu *http://www.sils.umich.edu/~kschneid
Cybrarian * PhD Student, UM SILS * Columnist, American Libraries
Forthcoming: The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Opinions mine alone.