I have seen the future of the Web...

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 20 19:07:26 EST 1995

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Marc Salomon wrote:

[text deleted]

> Java has some great things going for it and will be a very useful tool for some
> problems, but there are other languages that will work well too.  My toolkit at
> home has hammers, screwdrivers, power tools, plumbing tools, etc.  Proper tool
> for each job.  Anyone who says java (or anything other software tool esp from
> .com) is the be-all and end-all of anything needs to step back and contrmplate
> the question a bit more thoroughly.

Gosh, I sure hope my original comment did not imply that I think the
entire Web, as well as the Internet which encompasses it, is ANYTHING BUT
a tool. I would be among the first to argue that one should use the
"proper tool for each job". On any given day I can be seen using
Unix, Windows, and Mac OS all within the space of a couple minutes. I do
believe, however, that in my tool box Java may soon emerge to be the
circular saw to my HTML/perl/whathaveyou handsaw. Sure, I have both and I
still use both, but there are many jobs I would not even attempt to do
with the handsaw. And frankly I don't recall saying that Java was the
"be-all and end-all of anything", or even close. I have seen way too many
changes in Internet technologies to go out on that particular limb.
Anyone remember Gopher?
Roy Tennant
UC Berkeley Library
rtennant at library.berkeley.edu