Managing info on web & gopher servers - Marmot

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lut.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 05:28:47 EST 1995

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, BILL DREW wrote:
> When is the government and those developing such tools going to realize how few
> people can afford a SunOS or Solaris system?  Why don't they develop a server
> for Windows or Windows 95 or MacOS?

Maybe because the UNIX platform is a much better development platform,
supports pre-emptive multitasking (and has done for years), comes with
networking support, makes well written software easy to port to other UNIX
platforms (including Linux) and is widely used in the Internet to support
large HTTP and gopher servers (which is what this is all about).  Just a
few thoughts...

Jon