Consortium homepages

Andrzej Kowalski andrzej at dingo.com
Fri Nov 10 20:14:12 EST 1995

At 14:44 11/09/95 -0800, you wrote:
>Sometime ago I posted a query about running a homepage for a consortium
>(no central server with access available to all).  Our dilemma is how to
>manage this in such a way that various members can maintain various
>pages, rather than the office staff having to do all the maintainance.
>We haven't reached a conclusion, but here is a brief summary of the
>
>Most people suggested using an anonymous ftp site to allow file
>exchange.  Several suggested allowing ftp or telnet contribution of files
>to a desktop server.  One of these suggested a Mac program called ftpd.
>Others suggested Windows httpdd v1.4c at http://www.city.net/win-httpd/
>as a way to do some windows-based networking.  A very simple suggestion
>was just to link to locally maintained sites on each institution's web
>servers.  Forms with cgi-bin scripts were suggested.  Finally, a program
>called Marmot was suggested.  This is a client server product, running on
>all platforms, which is described as a "publishing protocol"
>(http://www.pn1.gov:2080/marmot).
>
>If we reacha really elegant, or at least effective, solution, I'll post
>the details.

>Karen Campbell	                           Bush Memorial Library
>kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu	           Hamline University
>(612)641-2482			           St. Paul, Minnesota
>We are "web weavers and dancers at the dawn of the Meso-Electronic Period"
>                                       ---Paul Evan Peters

One of our third-party developers, the Net Result, working with our Texpress
database engine, has been very active in this area of late.  He has
developed a system that may be of assistance.  The following is extracted
from the Net Result's promotional material:

Andrzej Kowalski

>The Technology:
>
>The Net Result has created a remote work group collaboration system for the
>World Wide Web's flexible presentation system. Our system is fully secure
>and based on an object oriented SQL client-server database.   We have
>speed, flexibility and scalability with an inexpensive entry level.  Our
>system also provides a secure World Wide Web view of the system to the
>public.  In addition, we have strong multilingual support with English,
>French, Chinese and Japanese capabilities.
>We base our cross platform workgroup technology on the KE Texpress database
>engine from Dingo Software and the Netscape Secure Communication
>Server.
>
>Texpress' primary advantage is one of speed:  It outperforms any of
>the leading SQL  Relational databases for single item searches.  With more
>complex searches, relational databases slow down. Texpress does not, it
>actually goes faster, due to a revolutionary indexing algorithm.
>
>Texpress makes it easy to create complex searches  without having to write
>many of the explicit relationships required by traditional systems. Its
>implicit joining capability alone saves hours of programming.
>
>Texpress has interfaces for text mode Query By Example, HTML, SQL, API (for
>both Windows and Mac), ODBC (under development) and the emerging Z39.50
library >standard (under development).  It also supports multilingual
systems, including >European languages, Chinese and Japanese, in the ame
database.  The HTML >interface attracted us >with its ease of use and
flexibility.

>Our workgroup software technology combines the power of the Texpress engine
>with the remote access security of Netscape's Netsite Web Server for a
>complete collaboration solution.
>--
>Jay Thorne                http://mindlink.net/jay/netresult.html
>Principal, The Net Result Systems * Services  Telephone:(604) 220 2504
>WWW & Internet Systems Consultant.

Andrzej Kowalski                                     Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dingo Software Systems Inc.                          Tel: (604) 877-1960
andrzej at dingo.com                                    Fax: (604) 877-1961
http://www.dingo.com

Fast and flexible data retrieval from data collections of all sizes
in-house and on the WWW with the KE Texpress Information Management System.