TELNET URL's with Netscape

Kevin Justie kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
Tue Nov 7 08:46:58 EST 1995

>I'm also interested in how we can use telnet for Macintosh via Netscape and
>directly login to our new opac (III) with the window opening at the front
>of netscape. The opening at the front works but actually telnetting
>directly and automatically logging in is another question. Users shouldn't
>be required to enter a login.
>Is netscape moving towards integrating telnet?
>What is the best telnet package for automating logins on Macs?
>Is it possible to add the login as part of the URL? How is this achieved?

We use Microphone Pro from Software Ventures (approx $140 when we last
ordered) for staff Macs accessing our Dynix system.  It includes TCP/IP
(there is also a Lite version which does not have TCP/IP) and has a very
powerful scripting language.  We've automated not only the entire logon
process but also numerous other online operations.  It is also Apple
Event-aware, meaning it can accept commands sent from other programs.  We
use it in conjuction with Hypercard; don't know if Netscape can send such
commands or not.  It was a major decision to go with 14 copies of a $140
program instead of the free stuff provided by Dynix (a very old Telnet
version), but has been well worth the cost.

Kevin Justie
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(708) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org