TELNET URL's with Netscape

Steve Ryan s.ryan at library.usyd.edu.au
Mon Nov 6 22:26:55 EST 1995

I'm also interested in how we can use telnet for Macintosh via Netscape and
directly login to our new opac (III) with the window opening at the front
of netscape. The opening at the front works but actually telnetting
directly and automatically logging in is another question. Users shouldn't
be required to enter a login.
Is netscape moving towards integrating telnet?
What is the best telnet package for automating logins on Macs?
Is it possible to add the login as part of the URL? How is this achieved?

>Our problem relates only to telnet URL's that use syntax such as:
>        telnet://library@mln.lib.ma.us
>
>When the username is included in the URL, the TELNET helper launches,
>but BEHIND the Netscape Window. We'd like it to launch in front, as it
>does when the URL is of the form:
>        telnet://mln.lib.ma.us
>
>Since we plan to put machines out in public libraries, we'd like to
>have Netscape running in full screen windows, and do not want to have
>patrons peeking behind Netscape when they click on a URL that does a
>TELNET.
>

>Susan Saul                              Phone: (508) 879-8575 x226
>Systems Librarian                       FAX:   (508) 879-5470
>Minuteman Library Network               Internet: ssaul at mln.lib.ma.us

Steve Ryan                                          Tel: 61 2 351 5030
Co-ordinator Internet Training              Fax: 61 2 3514593
University of Sydney Library               Email:s.ryan at library.usyd.edu.au
Fisher Library F03
N.S.W. 2006 Australia