Consortium homepages

Karen Campbell kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu
Thu Nov 9 16:25:00 EST 1995

Sometime ago I posted a query about running a homepage for a consortium
(no central server with access available to all).  Our dilemma is how to
manage this in such a way that various members can maintain various
pages, rather than the office staff having to do all the maintainance.
We haven't reached a conclusion, but here is a brief summary of the

Most people suggested using an anonymous ftp site to allow file
exchange.  Several suggested allowing ftp or telnet contribution of files
to a desktop server.  One of these suggested a Mac program called ftpd.
Others suggested Windows httpdd v1.4c at http://www.city.net/win-httpd/
as a way to do some windows-based networking.  A very simple suggestion
was just to link to locally maintained sites on each institution's web
servers.  Forms with cgi-bin scripts were suggested.  Finally, a program
called Marmot was suggested.  This is a client server product, running on
all platforms, which is described as a "publishing protocol"
(http://www.pn1.gov:2080/marmot).

If we reacha really elegant, or at least effective, solution, I'll post
the details.

Karen Campbell	                           Bush Memorial Library
kcampbel at seq.hamline.edu	           Hamline University
(612)641-2482			           St. Paul, Minnesota
We are "web weavers and dancers at the dawn of the Meso-Electronic Period"
                                       ---Paul Evan Peters