query: Windows NT webserver vs. UNIX webserver

Robert Cameron cameron at beta.loyno.edu
Thu Nov 9 00:49:07 EST 1995

We are in the market for a machine to mount a library webserver on and
are particularly interested in a few pre-configured products that Digital
Equipment has to offer.  One is their "Internet AlphaServer," which is
pre-configured with Digital UNIX and Netscape communications server.
The other system is the "Web Server" which uses Windows NT server 3.5.1
and Purveyor Web server (by a co. named Process Software).

In our particular situation, we are concerned about acquiring the UNIX box
because no one in the library is sufficiently conversant in UNIX.  On the
other hand, Windows NT is just as unfamiliar but alleged to be an easier
OS to administer.  Without starting an OS war, if anyone would care to
offer advice in this regard I'd appreciate it.

Also, we're unfamiliar with the Purveyor server.  I've looked at the
Purveyor home page and the web server comparison page and don't see
anything that overly concerns me (we can probably live without blinking
links ;-> ).  If you have any experience with this product and would be so
kind as to offer your opinion I would quite grateful.

If this question is too specific to be of general interest please respomd
to me directly.  Thanks!

Robert Cameron
Loyola University Library (New Orleans)
cameron at beta.loyno.edu