Non-anonymous ftp with Netscape

John Millard millarj at lib.muohio.edu
Wed Nov 8 22:04:46 EST 1995

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Tim Tripp wrote:

> need to ftp something from a site which requires a user name and a
> password.
>
> Sure, I have an ftp application that handles this just fine, but I'm
> wondering if one can do this with Netscape?  I imagine that you should be

You can do it by modifying your ftp URL slightly.  Say you wanted to
anonymous ftp to ftp.test.ed, your URL would be ftp://ftp.test.edu/

To ftp under a specific user instead of anonymous, you'd construct it
like a mailto, for example for user jsmith the URL would be:
ftp://jsmith@ftp.test.edu/

Netscape will popup a dialogue box asking for the password.

Hope tha works/helps.

John
: : John Millard                                                : :
:o: Electronic Information Services and Instruction Librarian   :o:
: : Miami University                                            : :
:o: Oxford, OH                                                  :o:
:o: http://www.lib.muohio.edu/~millarj/                         :o: