How do I translate my IP address?

Michael Sauers ms0669 at mail.albany.net
Wed Nov 8 09:36:55 EST 1995

> I don't know how to translate my P.C.'s
> numerical IP address to something textual.  I am
> attached to a campus ehternet backbone, and only the
> last 3 digits of my address are unique.  How do I find
> out a textual address, and how do I assign a name to my
> P.C. server?

Name assignments have to be made at the DNS level.  You must
speak with someone from your campus "systems" office and have
them handle it.  When I did this at my old library, I contacted
campus sytems, told them my IP and what I wanted my individual
name to be and they set it up in the DNS database.

Michael Sauers		  			    Phone: (702) 247-6244
PC/Internet Consultant			        E-Mail: ms0669 at albany.net
CR Associates Internet Consulting			    IRC: CyberRat
Las Vegas, Nevada		  WWW: http://www.albany.net/~ms0669/cra/