Web accessibility for visually impaired patrons

Genevieve Engel gen at stubbs.ucop.edu
Fri Nov 3 20:43:28 EST 1995

>> Get acquainted with disability issues with regard to operating systems,
>> screen displays, GUIs, etc.  annking at nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu
>
>Are you using Netscape with visually impaired patrons? How? Do you have
>voice-output software, a magnified screen, etc.? I admit I haven't
>thought about the possibilities of making the Web available to the
>visually impaired, but I'd be very interested in ideas.

Here's some stuff from my bookmark file, most recommended by the computers &
disabilities coordinator at UCLA:

<H3>Accessible design</H3>

<DL><p>

<DT><A HREF="gopher://gopher.mic.ucla.edu:4334/">
             UCLA Disabilities and Computing</A>

<DT><A HREF="http://www.gsa.gov/coca/csun.htm">
             Accessibility on the WWW</A>

<DT><A HREF="http://www.gsa.gov/coca/nii.htm">
             CITA and the NII</A>

<DT><A HREF="http://trace.wisc.edu:80/HTMLgide/">
             Design of HTML (Mosaic) Pages to Increase Their
             Accessibility to Users With Disabilities</A>

<DT><A HREF="http://bucky.aa.uic.edu/">
             NCSA Mosaic Access Page:
             a resource for people with disabilities</A>

<DT><A HREF="http://www.webable.com">
             WebABLE!</A>

<DD>

Genny Engel