Telnet access via WWW

Steve Godfrey staffSG4 at venus.gsd.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 3 12:21:24 EST 1995

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Jian Liu wrote:

> Now I began to suspect that in rushing out this so buggy 2.0 beta (we
> are talking about the windows version), they forgot something. :-)

They did indeed "forget" something in the 2.0 beta.  See the Known
Problems/Bugs section of the Release Notes on the Help menu.

In Windows 3.1, you just have to edit the Netscape.ini to accomplish
telnet support for the 2.0 beta.

In Windows 95, you have to edit the Registry.  I'm no expert; this is the
only time I've had to edit the registry so far, but this worked for me:

>From the Start menu, select Run and type regedit.  Then find the registry
entries for Netscape.  In my case, it is under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator.  Open the folder
for Viewers and double click on Telnet. Then enter the path for your
Telnet application in the Value data field.  There has been a series on
editing the Win95 registry in the last few issues of PC magazine, which I
found helpful.

I'm sure that Netscape will fix this before the final release.  It's a
small price to pay for the added functionality 2 months early.

Hope this helps.

Steve Godfrey (sgodfrey at gsd.harvard.edu)
Automation and Electronic Resources Assistant
Frances Loeb Library, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University
http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/~staffSG4/home.html