Why disable access to software features?

Lesley Williams lwilliam at nslsilus.org
Thu Nov 2 19:01:50 EST 1995

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:

> > I too am interested in learning how to use Netscape (on Macs) in a kiosk
> > mode. It would be wonderful to disable access to the menu (or most of the
> > menu). This is conjunction with AtEase would make the whole lash-up more
> > robust.
>
> Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable access to some of the
> software's features. I thought librarians were interested in free and equal
> access to information?

I *am* interested in free access to information, but not so interested in
patrons being able to, say add their own bookmarks at library stations,
re-configure the color and font settings, play with the helper
applications or the home page address. I'd also like to know if other
libraries are giving patrons access to newsgroups from public access
Internet stations, and how this works.

Lesley Williams
Arlington Heights Memorial Library