Why disable access to software features?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Thu Nov 2 15:52:40 EST 1995

Eric Lease Morgan writes:

"Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable access to some of the
software's features. I thought librarians were interested in free and equal
access to information?"

Because we neither choose to be nor can afford to be all things to all people.
Because providing a safe computing environment for all users may dictate
turning off disk downloads.  Because we don't want to have to sort out the
liabilities involved if someone (whom we can't identify or track down) uses our
workstations to send threatening e-mail or post nuisance messages on
newsgroups.  And because some of us are at institutions which are contractually
obligated to prohibit certain kinds of anonymous net access and choose to honor
that agreement.

But as for the constant repetition of requests for a Netscape kiosk mode: it
ain't there, folks, and don't hold your breath waiting for it.  Netscape's
perceived market is the individual's desktop, and given the reception 2.0b1 got
their development effort is skating close to the edge just to support that.  I
don't see them going back and adding a feature needed by a small niche market.
OTOH, there is at least one browser out there that has a kiosk mode built into
it; why not use that one?

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK