Why disable access to software features?

Withington, Rebecca rwithin at wdni.com
Thu Nov 2 15:52:00 EST 1995

>> I too am interested in learning how to use Netscape (on Macs) in a kiosk
>> mode. It would be wonderful to disable access to the menu (or most of the
>> menu). This is conjunction with AtEase would make the whole lash-up more
>> robust.

>Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable access to some of
the
>software's features. I thought librarians were interested in free and equal
>access to information?

Perhaps the intent here is to keep users from editing or modifying www
documents.  An analogy might be that while librarians promote free and equal
access, they do not provide patrons with the access to modify, edit and
delete records from the catalog.

Rebecca Withington
rwithin at wdni.com
Weyerhaeuser Corporate Library