Using database software to create HTML documents

Walter Lewis walter.lewis at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Nov 2 14:00:51 EST 1995

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, asmith wrote:
>      I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using a database
>      software program (Dbase, Access, Fox Pro ... etc..) to create a HTML
>      coded document?
>
>      It seems like it would be useful when you're creating a page with lots
>      of repetition and similar data (for example, a list of web sites
>      followed by short descriptions).

No doubt many, ourselves among them.

We use the EMWAC WWW server on Windows NT, as so have access to the WAIS
software ported to that platform.

One project involved creating a template in Microsoft Word and then
merging the Access database.  Split out as individual HTML docs, and
index with WAIS  (try http://www.hhpl.on.ca/edu/htd/htd.htm).
This has the disadvantage of taking relational tables, transferring them
into flat "docs" that are static. The upside is that it used technology
paid for for other purposes (=cheap)

A current set of experiments revolve around Cold Fusion, a trial version
of which we run on the same machine (source from Yahoo).  Cold Fusion
uses the ODBC drivers that can reach into a variety of PC databases using
SQL syntax (Access allows you to cut-and-paste this stuff) and combine it
with a results template.  If you have no aversion to raw HTML codes
then the Cold Fusion templates are *relatively* easy to construct. (try:
http://www.hhpl.on.ca/sigs/ehs/db/index.htm)  A couple of caveats:  the
machine serving this up is a drive enhanced, processor deficient 486/33
working its guts out and the 16 Mb of memory are already overtasked (CF
recommends a minimum of 24) In otherwords I care that it works, not that
I couldn't make it faster (=$$).  Cold Fusion is $499US.

The third alternative, and one we're beginning to take a look at (at
least since that excellenAccess '95 Conference in Fredricton last week)
is WAIS SF.  The standard NT WAIStoolkit does full document searching,
and I'm looking for a structured/fielded datafile.  The key (and please
correct this statement if off-base) is that WAISSF at first blush appears
to be flat-file.  There is also a very primitive port of the CHIDR Z39.50
server to NT which we will be assessing (the WAISSF ilooks like a compile
job ...shudder)

Good luck.

Walter

Walter Lewis		  		     walter.lewis at sheridanc.on.ca
Deputy Chief Librarian/Systems
Halton Hills Public Library, Georgetown, ON Canada L7G 2A3 (905) 873-2681