databases and HTML documents

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 2 13:44:13 EST 1995

>      I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using a database
>      software program (Dbase, Access, Fox Pro ... etc..) to create a HTML
>      coded document?

The concept of using a database to manage and create collections of URLs and
HTML documents is, in my opinion, the only way to go.

Here at NCSU we use a *very* simple HyperCard stack to manage and create the
vast majority of the links on our server. The stack only has about 600 records
in it right now, but I can generate almost the entire server in about 40
minutes.

In the future we will experiement with a better database program, notably, one
with relational characteristics. We also plan to enhance the program to
generate MARC records. These MARC records will then be added to our OPAC.
Right now a lot of this is vaporware. Be forewarned.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
NCSU Libraries