Staff Web

David Stern david.e.stern at yale.edu
Thu Nov 2 13:19:43 EST 1995

> > At Columbia University Libraries, we have a Web service that is
> > designed for use by library staff only.  This service provides access
> > to information about committees, projects, training programs,
> > procedures, equipment, etc., as well as to off-campus library-related
> > Internet resources.
> >
> > We are now making plans to improve this service by reorganizing it and
> > providing better subject searching access to it.  Two questions:
> >
> > 1) Does your library maintain a Web service with a staff-only focus,
> > and, if so, what is its URL?

 Yes, we have a "Staff Web" at the Yale University science libraries.  This
 early prototype includes some policy and procedure information, some online
 bibliographies, and some expert systems reference help for evenings and
 weekends when no librarians are on duty.

 Access is restricted to Library staff, but I have temporarily made a copy of the
 homepage at:
 	http://www.cis.yale.edu/~dstern/kslhelp.html

   It is fully functional; however most online services are either
 password or IP controlled, and you will not be allowed access.

 <Much of the expert systems material is also available to patrons from the
 library or their office/labs at our regular WWW page
    http://www.library.yale.edu/scilib/top.html

> > 2) Has your library written a thesaurus (for controlled vocabulary
> > subject searching) for use with your staff-only Web service, and, if
> > so, would you be willing to send me a copy?

 The search engine is wwwwais.  We do not have a controlled vocabulary
 for subject searching, but our library front door has a tree structure
 access approach for all users at http://www.library.yale.edu/Internet/

   David Stern
   Director of Science Libraries and Information Services
   Kline Science Library
   Yale University
   219 Prospect Street
   P.O. Box 20811