Probs with background color

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Fri Dec 22 11:20:54 EST 1995

>As others have noted, this seems to be a problem with color palettes. It's
>more than the difference between machines, however. Just yesterday, my
>collegue who is putting together some of our web pages asked me to look at
>one he had a background color on, and it looked as he intended it in
>Netscape, but in Mosaic *on the same computer* (and at the same time), was
>dithered and looked awful! So each application seems able--and bound--to
>pick its own palette. We never see color-dithering on Star Trek! Makes one
>realize crummy these machines still are...well, really, it's how we love to
>put our attention on more is better, when it's not.

Thanks for the vivid reminder of why we should be focusing on clarity of
structure and content in our web pages rather than fretting about
appearance.

FWIW, Mosaic may be suffering from running at the same time as Netscape.  In
Windows, at least, some applications seem to gobble up colors in the palette
and not release them to other apps.

Thomas ("How's that Netscape Pantone plug-in coming?") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu