Latest version of Mosiac for Windows -Reply

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Thu Dec 21 14:18:50 EST 1995

>I also have problems loading some of my HTML pages into Mosaic 2.0, but I

>use pretty standard HTML tags, not incorporating any of the Netscape

>extensions or HTML 3.0 tags. So, why don't they load? Actually, I failed

>to load them in Netcruiser (Chameleon), but have never had a problem in

>Netscape. Any ideas?

Validate, validate, validate.  The main problem I've seen with reports like
this is that there's a not-quite-legit HTML tag lurking in the document.  I
don't know what version of Netscape you're using, but a lot of people have
crashed and burned moving from NS 1.x to 2.x because the 2.x versions are
more stringent in certain aspects.  Malformed HTML comments, in particular,
will break some browsers.  Validating your code is a big help.

I use a couple different HTML validaters.  I have a command-line program
called htmlchek (an archie or lycos search will turn it up); when that isn't
convenient, I go to weblint (http://www.unipress.com/web-lint/) or the
HALSoft HTML validation service (I always find it through the www.w3.org
server).  I believe all three of those will check for HTML 2.0, HTML 3.0, or
Netscape HTML.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu