SGML for Web Pages

R124C41 at aol.com R124C41 at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 00:01:34 EST 1995

In regard to the comments of William Oldfield
(wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca):

>It seems we were alway upgrading our records to the latest standard.

and

>The truth is it will never end.

Right.  And SGML, though a slightly older "standard" than HTML is not going
to make much difference...

The media come, the media go...putting information into them is a committment
to migrating the information from one media to the next until the information
is no longer of value.   After all, we use to use scrolls...

What makes it confusing is that in the case of scrolls there was more sense
of the media as being valuable in its own right whereas it is hard to make
that claim about a disk.

Perhaps, of course, that has to do with their being so many around...maybe if
two thousand years from now someone finds a disk in a cave it will be
different.

--David Ritchie
--Naperville, IL 60563
--R124C41 at AOL.COM