ADOBE PageMill (fwd)

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 15 12:40:01 EST 1995

Hello -

Roy Tennant writes:

>and downloading the free PageMill trial from Adobe. Since they say "The
>trial version is fully functional but cannot save pages" it looks  like
>you should get an idea of what it can do, but you won't be able to see
>the output (the HTML) or how it looks to browsers.

I downloaded the demo and tried it out. Some of the display features are
nice, like having markup in a contrasting color from the text, but there's
one 'feature' that bothers me a great deal. Quoting from the readme file:

"...PageMill may rewrite the HTML tags created by another application. For
example, when opening and saving a file, PageMill removes text wrap,
converts <p> tags to <br> tags and <align=center> tags to <center> tags."

In other words, it seems PageMill will strip out perfectly valid markup in
favor of its own preferences. It's bad enough to lose the semantics
inherent in <p>...</p>, but it's even worse to force you to use
browser-specific markup (<center>) instead of perfectly standard HTML (<p
align=center>). Since the demo version doesn't let you see the source or
save your files, I couldn't check to see whether it actually does this. Can
anyone confirm whether or not this is true?

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Help Desk
Memorial Library