Value of Ed./Instructional Tech. Degree

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Fri Dec 15 12:13:33 EST 1995

>>        My question is not completely web related.  However,  with this list
>>I have a captive audience of professionals in academic libraries that I
>>would like to take advantage of :).  Is a Masters in
>>Educational/Instructional Technology thought to be a valuable degree in an
>>academic library or would a second subject masters (in the social sciences)
>>be more advantageous?  I currently have my M.L.S. and experience in academic
>>libraries.  I am beginning a second masters degree and was seriously
>>considering a Masters in Educational/Instructional Technology.
>>
>>        Thank you in advance for your comments.

Hmmm... it would be difficult, I imagine to make a good general statement
along those lines.  My suggestion would be to keep your eyes open for job
announcements that interest you, and contact that library (whether you're
going to set up an interview or not) and ask them, either over the phone or
during the interview.  If you are going to the Midwinter ALA meeting, check
the binders for positions that interest you and set up interviews.

It could very well be that the specific academic libraries that you are
interested in would have a tendency one way or another, so this is the only
way I can think of to be sure.

Hope this helps

Keith

Keith Engwall          Just one thing before we talk about computers:
Systems Librarian      PCs are just great... PCs are infuriating
Briscoe Library        Macs are just great... Macs are infuriating
UTHSCSA                Neither one will help you scratch the middle
engwall at uthscsa.edu    of your back worth a darn.  Ok, go on...