Value of Ed./Instructional Tech. Degree

Brian Nielsen b-nielsen at nwu.edu
Fri Dec 15 11:43:26 EST 1995

>  Is a Masters in
>Educational/Instructional Technology thought to be a valuable degree in an
>academic library or would a second subject masters (in the social sciences)
>be more advantageous?  I currently have my M.L.S. and experience in academic
>libraries.  I am beginning a second masters degree and was seriously
>considering a Masters in Educational/Instructional Technology.

My personal view is that it would indeed be valuable, but you may have to do
a bit of talk to convince potential employers (though not all of them).  I
think libraries need more MLS folks who are comfortable with getting "down
and dirty" with real live information technologies that their clientele are
likely to need for doing the work they do.  See my  "Comments on Developing
Managerial Competence for Library Automation" {Response to a symposium on
library automation management} Library Hi Tech, 7(2):109-111, 1989.  If you
can swing it, get three masters'.

             Brian Nielsen, Ph.D.
             Networked Resources Coordinator
             Learning Technologies Group