Java in libraries? (or everywhere...)

Robert MacKimmie rm at calhist.org
Fri Dec 8 15:49:53 EST 1995

Just to dissuade people from dismissing the presence of JAVA and how
much it has/will impact the Web, here is a press release that can be
found on the SUN JAVA site (http://java.sun.com/). The players
involved indicate significance and I don't think this means Scott
McNeally will be living in a cardboard box anytime soon:

December 7, 1995 - Today Microsoft has announced that it has signed a
letter of intent with Sun for a Java technology source license and
that Sun and Microsoft are working through the licensing details. In
addition, Microsoft has agreed in principle to provide to Sun
Microsoft's reference implementation of the Java virtual machine and
AAPI (applet application programming interface) for Windows.

We are happy to be working with Microsoft on a license for the Java
technology and look forward to working with them on optimizing the
Java technology for Windows.

Microsoft plans to use Java in its Explorer browser, and also has
indicated to us that they plan to support JavaScript in Explorer.

As with other significant announcements of the past few weeks, and
assuming a final agreement is reached, the Microsoft announcement is
significant because:

   By integrating Java into their Explorer browser, Microsoft will be
providing Java to a huge base of previously untapped Windows users.

   Microsoft, as part of the proposed agreement, plans to improve the
Win 95 port and will share with Sun a reference implementation, which
we can then share with our customers.

   It's a major endorsement from the world's largest software firm
that our Internet technology is top notch.

   It's further proof that Java has become the de facto open standard
for programming on the Internet.

   With Java Sun has established the first programming language that
is not tied to any particular operating system or microprocessor.
This means that applications written in Java will run anywhere,
eliminating one of the biggest headaches for computer users:
incompatibility between operating systems and versions of operating
systems.

It has been a historic week at Sun:

*On Monday, we announced a joint effort with Netscape that we intend
to work together to develop a new, open scripting language called
JavaScript. This will be aimed at non-programmers who wish to create
web pages that use Java applets. Twenty-eight leading technology
companies expressed their endorsement of JavaScript.

*On Monday, we also announced that we plan to work with Silicon
Graphics and Macromedia to develop common multimedia application
programming interfaces (APIs) and file formats for Java that
integrate 3D and interactivity. They will be based on Java from Sun
and VRML from SGI.

*We also announced with Netscape and SGI a mutual endorsement of
VRML, Java and JavaScript to promote standards for multimedia, 3D and
interactivity on the Internet.

*On Wednesday, IBM announced that it has licensed the Java
technology, and plans to port it to the AIX, OS/2 and Win 3.1
platforms.

*Also on Wednesday, Adobe announced that it had licensed Java and
that it will integrate Java into its PageMill authoring tools and
Adobe Acrobat.

* Finally on Wednesday, Sybase announced its intention to license the
Java technology for use with its databases and commercial tools.