Thanks for the review

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Fri Dec 8 11:41:11 EST 1995

Just a short note to thank the folks who helped with the visual review of
the Monroe County Site.

There were actually 68 people from all over the world who sent in
comments. 3 of the 68 had some problems with the graphical image. At
least some of the problems related to monitors set at 16 colors. One
person did report getting actually sea sick trying to read the screen.

I think there are some graphical readability issues which we'll have to
deal with but I think they are related to the age of the viewer more than
anything else. This is a real issue and every single response sent in was
funneled into the group for consideration.

We did the public demo of all 3 sites last night at the Monroe County
Public Library and had 50+ folks show up some of whom were turned away
because they couldn't fit into the room. We did our 4th usability test on
the structure and language and it works close to 100%. Interesting words
we discovered which are almost meaningless to anyone without an MLS:
reference, catalog, opac. those words don't exist in our system except in
the glossary which is hyperlinked.

We may be installing the system in another public library and were asked
if we'd consider translating the system into another romanized language
for another site. Hopefully by Monday we can clean up a little bit more
and I'll post the url to the 3 approaches and move toward
_stuffing/taring/zipping_ the structure part for other libraries who
would like to download the entire site and fine tune it for their
particular sites. The download version will be sans any reference to
Monroe County Public Library.

We'll be developing the content for Monroe County in the spring and have
approached a variety of opac vendors about providing z39.50 client
support _thru_ this web_site_interface. This means that you will be able
to hide innovative/geac/dra/notis/etc and present a truly unified
presentation of _self_ to the internet world without an obviously
non-related interface _popping_ up on your site. One vendor has agreed to
help. More on that later.

Thanks again and more later.

--Thom