Java in libraries?

Karen G. Schneider kschneid at umich.edu
Fri Dec 8 00:00:16 EST 1995

Other technozealotry aside, a few weeks ago my editor at American Libraries
asked me what I wanted to do for February and I replied, let's do the
programming language, Java--it's new and hot, and it would be fun to have
AL be one of the first places to write about it!  To my complete
astonishment, and also to my distress, my editor loves the idea.

So is your library doing anything with Java?  How about you personally?  Do
you think it is cool?  Are you mystified by it? Do we need to know it?
Will it change the 'net?  Will it change us?  Can we afford its
implications?  Do you know of an easy book on Java?  Do you prefer
full-strength or decaf?

Send these and any other comments related to Java to me at
kschneid at umich.edu, and I'll try to write something fun and very different
for my February column.

Karen G. Schneider * kschneid at umich.edu *http://www.sils.umich.edu/~kschneid
Cybrarian * PhD Student, UM SILS * Columnist, American Libraries
Forthcoming: The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Technozealot* Iconoclast * Problem Child * Aging Disgracefully