remote users and libraries

jeanette.regan library at merlin.anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 6 00:46:18 EST 1995

From: Robert Wagers <rwagers at wahoo.sjsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: finding info on the Web

 I never thought about it before, but the availability of online
>catalogs makes it possible for "virtual consulting": helping people at a
>distance to find information in their own collections.  Since many of the
>OPAC lists are organized geographically, you could also refer them to
>nearby sources for their information.  Not earthshaking, but interesting.

An international conference Library and Information Services in Astronomy
II, was held in May 1995, and some of its aims were to discuss issues such
as: changing technolgies, the impact of electronic publishing on the
library, future perspectives... The conference proceedings are available at:
http://www.eso.org/lisa-ii.html

The changes in format of catalogues and the ease of accessing information
has meant that library users in remote areas are not nearly as isolated as
they were even a year ago. This change has had a dramatic effect especially
in the field of astronomy and astrophysics, where engineers (that keep the
telescopes running etc) as well as the scientists using the equipment, were
always facing the challenge of how to obtain any information quickly. One
discussion paper at the conference was specifically on this subject.

Astronomy Branch Libraries (ANU)
Mt Stromlo & Siding Spring Observatories
Private Bag
WESTON CREEK PO  ACT 2611  AUSTRALIA.

Phone: +61 6 249-0226     Fax:   +61 6 249-5635
e-mail: library at mso.anu.edu.au