finding info on the Web

Rebecca Bauerschmidt rebs at unm.edu
Tue Dec 5 18:13:45 EST 1995

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995 TravLib1 at aol.com wrote:
> I recently attended a 2-day workshop sponsored by Ameritech on the Web. One
> of the presenters related the time he was trying to find the cititation of a
> certain poem. He posted the question to the Web (site unknown), and, within
> an hour he had his citiation.
>
> I was not too shy to suggest that if he had called his local public library,
                                              ******
> he could have had that answer within a few minutes, or less.
>
> Ever heard of Granger's (and *not* the one on-line).
> The Web's a miraculous place. However ...
> Use what's best and what's quickest. This is our job.

Not always.  I feel it is also our job to empower our clientele and let
them know the myriad of options they have.  If one option doesn't pan out
try another.

Perhaps the individuals are working when the library is closed or when the
reference desk is not available. Thankfully most/many Internet sources
don't have a closed sign hanging on the door.  Patrons may prefer to find
the answer without direct (human) assistance from others in the comfort of
their home or office.  If it takes an hour or a day that is okay.

I previously worked for our campus computing center help desk, and I now
work for our library.  As a help desk person, we were always amazed how
many people would call when they could easily find the information they
needed locally if they were only willing to look. With three phone lines
coming in, most of them busy, we felt it important to teach people how to
help themselves especially when a human is not available to assist.

Please do not condone someone trying to find information in the best way
they know how, but suggest other sources they may find helpful and convenient.

Rebecca Bauerschmidt                            ...no matter where you go
University of New Mexico General Library                there you are ...
Library Technology Development Dept
rebs at unm.edu           505/277-2587