Changing error messages

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Mon Dec 4 15:19:40 EST 1995

>The errormessages are usually "hardwired" into the server software,
>especially in the case of the  most widely spread CERN and NCSA servers.
>So you would have to recompile the whole thang....

Please folks, if you're not familiar with a piece of software, don't make
such authoritative pronouncements on either its features or limitations.

As has already been posted at least twice, error messages are not hardwired
into NCSA httpd (and I'll be surprised to learn that they are in CERN
httpd).  With NCSA httpd, you only have to edit a couple of lines in the
srm.conf file, make a nicely worded HTML file in the appropriate place, and
restart httpd; if you prefer, you can point to a CGI script instead.  It
takes about three minutes of looking at the configuration files and
documentation to find this out.

I admit that I hadn't considered doing this before, but on reflection, I
don't see why anyone wouldn't do this, at least for the cryptic 403
(forbidden) and 404 (not found) errors.

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK