Glasgow University Library on the WWW

William J Nixon William.J.Nixon at lib.gla.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 11:36:05 EST 1995

Glasgow University Library (Scotland, UK) is pleased to announce its
recently launched Web Service at:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/Library/index.html

and we welcome comments and suggestions from both our users
and our professional colleagues on its design and implementation.

The pages have been designed with an 800x600 Windows screen in
mind - the specifications of our library workstations but we
feel that they travel well. The only major graphic at the moment
is our letterbox banner on the Home Page. This was a conscious
design decision to stress both the shift from Gopher to
Web and to provide a strong visual identity for our service.

We have reduced the number of major options on the Home
Page to 6 bulleted points and added shortcuts to major
online services such as BIDS and OCLC FirstSearch.
These points provide access to essential information such
as our opening hours, a library news section and
reference, bibliographic and network resources available.
Our BIDS and FirstSearch pages have been and tailored
to Glasgow University users and provide access to online
documentation and telnet links to these services.

A Navigation Bar has also been built into each of our pages
which provides links to the Library, GLANCE (our University
service) and previous menus for ease of use. It can be
particularly useful when pages are bookmarked.

It has been an exciting time but we are just beginning and as
with all webs we will continue to develop and refine our pages.
In this we welcome comments from both our users and colleagues
as part of our ongoing committment to development.

William J Nixon
Library Web Editor

--
William J Nixon                  Phone: 0141-330 6721
Assistant Librarian (IT)         Fax  : 0141-330 4952
Glasgow University Library       Email: William.J.Nixon at lib.gla.ac.uk
Hillhead St., Glasgow G12 8QE    URL  : http://www.gla.ac.uk/~gxla22