On Topic: Web based bibliographic instruction?

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Dec 4 09:30:55 EST 1995

Wow,  I never realized how volatile the whole "techie"/Computer
Professional/Librarian thing was...  But let's forget about that and return
to the topic of web4lib  ;-)

I am wondering what types of information that librarians who read this list
are looking to provide via the WWW.  Is it basic information about the
libarary (Hours, special events, etc)?  Access to your on-line resources?
Via telnet?  Via web based forms?  How about some on-line bibliographic
instruction?

Here is my fear... no it's more of a concern.  The WWW is a remarkable
thing.  Simply fantastic.  But it also encourages a method of information
retrieval that is innappropriate for the vast majority of information that
is on the planet.  While this might not always be the case (recall  Vannevar
Bush's memex), it is clearly present reality.

So my question is - What is being done with this tool to assist people to
get to information today?  Is anyone putting together a set of web based
tools to teach people how to effectively search for information?  Are they
on-line and in "final" format?  Could you point me to the URL?

My apologies if this is a long-worn out thread.  If there is a FAQ that
contains this info, please point me towards it with grace.

(How's that for an on-topic post from a "techie"?  ;-)

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=+
 "For my purpose holds to sail		Bill Crosbie
   beyond the sunset, and the baths	Microcomputer/Network Analyst
   of all the western stars,	  	Rutgers University-Chang Library
   until I die."    ~ Tennyson		crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
    					(908) 932-0305 x114

Aside:  I've only been employed by the library for a little more than a
month and I am starting to see how the "average patron"  (Does such a being
exist.  ;-) goes about looking to find information.  (Yes, My office is _IN_
the library, not in some removed systems building.)  Well, let's browse
through this journal and look at the TOC... I find myself mildly amused
until I realize that that was _me_ just a little while ago.  It has spurred
my thinking in this direction.