The lonliness of the Graphical User Interface designer...

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu
Mon Dec 4 09:18:30 EST 1995

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, The Big Glee Bopper wrote:
> Just a few observations and the qualifier that I really can't figure the
> context or irony of whatever Michael is trying to say.

Heavy irony, a subtext of despair.

> This isn't what Tog says. he has major sections on scenario-based design
> and paper prototype development which says _don't_ try to make sense, ask
> users.

Irony at work --- in the preceeding paragraph, I mentioned how hard it was
to get anything out of the users.  Interactive design is tough without
someone else participating.

> Nope, not the way to proceed. If they are tongue tied and spell bound
> it's probably because you are jargoning them to death. No Tog here!

That's quite an assumption, all things considered.  I can't really refute
it, of course, other than to say that I don't like jargon --- must have
something to do with the fact that I spent my years time in school
explicating Shakespeare, rather than coding binary sorts.

> > So, have you always given your programmers explicit, concrete designs
> > before having them produce an interface?
> Rapid prototyping is what Tog would say.

Tog never did Clipper.  And I doubt he ever had four-week deadlines --
deadlines put in place at the user's request.

> > Once they have, are you sure to provide them with lucid, concise
> > critiques?
> This should be provided in focus groups by users. If they say it sucks,
> then it sucks and you have to fix it.

However, I have never seen (though I have heard of) in-house corporate
programming teams producing custom software to support business practices
allowed to take the time to do such things right.

> Again, I don't get the context of whatever Michael is saying so I am
> just responding.

I was introducing the Tog book for ironic content.  It is a neat book to
read, and if I ever find myself in an environment where they let you take
the time and effort the book's suggestions require, I will do so
enthusiastically.

Finally, to state my point in 50 words or less:

Programmers are not solely responsible for bad user interfaces --- often
they try hard to get the input they need and are let down by their users.
Awareness of both sides of the problem is more likely to solve it than
finger pointing.

I suppose that might actually be more than 50 words.

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu           Louis Calder Memorial Library