Web Producers

Eric H Schnell ehschnel at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Dec 4 08:41:55 EST 1995

   The process of editing a Web site/document is very much like
a multimedia production. The use digital imaging and audio in a Web
site requires skills which are more akin to media production than
to traditional Librarianship. (Unless you had a few media courses
in Library Schoool) We have Radio Producers, Television Producers,
Movie Producers, etc.  Since the Web is certainly a new medium,
how about Web Producer?

    Now that I think about it, in the print world we have Newspaper
Editors, Magazine Editors, Book Editors, etc. So should it be Web
Editor? Are Web Producer and Web Editor actually two distinct
functions? Are those people writing Perl scripts and Java code
considered Web Engineers?

Eric Schnell
Head, Automation Services
Prior HSL