Techies and computers "scientists"

Jose Perez-Carballo carballo at carballo.rutgers.edu
Fri Dec 1 17:57:03 EST 1995

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman at caldmed.med.miami.edu> writes:

 >Would anyone mind if I made offensive generalizations about librarians
 >here?  It seems to be acceptible when made about programmers.

I didn't keep it (actually I deleted it in disgust) but today I also
read a message here of someone saying that he/she has heard of
computer technicians and computer programmers but had never heard of
computer scientists... Was this person serious or just trying to be
offensive?

Well, I am getting tired of the "techie" slurs my colleagues (mostly
librarians and information scientists (you've heard of those, haven't
you?)) feel free to throw at me.  Like the racial slurs, the "techie"
slur reveals fear (if not hatred) and distrust.  Cute as it sounds,
when one of my colleagues calls me "techie" it sounds as affectionate
as a cute racial slur.

--
Jose Perez-Carballo
School of Communication and Library Studies