Using commercial web sites in a library

Cousineau, Laura lkc at mail.lib.duke.edu
Fri Dec 1 08:55:56 EST 1995

Steve Cramer asks:
<< Is any public or academic library allowing their patrons access to
<< commercial web sites, and if so, how does the library handle the password
<< as well as the fees?

Perkins Library at Duke University subscribes to Britannica Online.  Our patrons
may access this Web-based databse in our libraries, from dorm rooms, offices or
their homes with a SLIP or PPP connection.  We have supplied Britannica with the
IP numbers for our Computers at Duke.  Their server will allow access to any
computer which it recognises as coming from Duke.

There is some technical tweeking involved.  We had to fix a problem where people
came into a Duke Web site on lynx, and went from there to Britannica Online.
But our superb library systems folks took care of that quickly.

We are going to test GaleNet soon, and they have a similar system for
recognising IP addresses.

As for pricing, Britannica bases it on numbers of students enrolled on campus.
GaleNet has not given us pricing info yet, but has asked us for the number of
PCs on campus.

Hope this helps!

Laura Cousineau
Information Access Librarian