Macintosh solution for application startup

David Stern david.e.stern at yale.edu
Mon Dec 18 14:37:42 EST 1995

  I have used the Windows `Associate' function to create WWW links
that point to file names which open software programs (an alternative to
Helper Applications when not all telnet connections are accessed
using the same telnet client).

  Is there an easy way to create WWW (Netscape) links on a Macintosh that
start programs (i.e. Guidon) on the local machine?  Once again, not using
the Helper Applications option.

  We are trying to start the VersaTerm telnet client (for printing
options) in one instance, as opposed to our usual NCSA Telnet client for
most telnet connections.

  So I am asking ... is there a way to create associations between files
and software packages on a Mac in order to fool the Netscape software.

  David

  David Stern
  Director of Science Libraries and Information Services
  Kline Science Library
  Yale University
  219 Prospect Street
  P.O. Box 208111