Netscape for the Public - Our answer

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 11 16:30:53 EST 1995

Hello -

>This is good news. However, a message posted on one of the
>comp.infosystems.www newsgroups indicated that Netscape already has a
>kiosk mode (at least in version 1.22 for Windows). Simply place a
>[space]-k after netscape.exe on the command line, and you have a kiosk
>version (just like what you have to do for Mosaic). It looks a little

That implementation of kiosk seems a bit...heavy-handed. I can imagine the
developers' meeting: "They want kiosk mode? *We'll* show them kiosk mode!"

Seriously, though, removing all graphical interface options seriously
cripples the application - No Back button? No Home button? Improving
security and maintainability can be done fairly easily (cf. the simple menu
hacks referred to earlier) without turning it into a DOS application (quick
- what's the key combination for 'Back'?).

Oh, well, it may be a moot point anyway - the -k switch doesn't work in 2.0b3.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Help Desk
Memorial Library