Java browser for Windows 3.1x

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Dec 11 08:42:17 EST 1995

At 07:39 PM 12/10/95 -0800, Boyd R. Collins wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I've been looking into Java lately as part of an article I am working on and
>I'm afraid I don't have good news for those intending to stick with Windows
>3.X.  There are no current plans at Sun to port Java to that platform for
>several technical reasons, one having to do with the way Windows 3.X handles
>memory stacks and there are others as well, from what I have heard.  Java
>will not work with Win32s on a Windows 3.X platform for much the same

>>	Hi.  With all the flurry of articles on Java recently, it seems
>>like this "next big thing" is currently available in Windows environments
>>for Windows 95 or Windows NT.  Is that correct?  I have tried finding
>>information on the possibility of the Sun people porting one to the
>>Windows 3.1x user base, but the company is reportedly not planning
>>to work on this.
 to move to Windows 95 yet.   Thank you for your assistance.

>>--Bill Walker
>>  Reference Dept.
>>  Stockton Public Library.

>&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
>Boyd R. Collins, Automation Manager, The Libraries
>Mansfield University
>Mansfield PA 16933

I purchased a book on Java this past weekend to do a little 'light reading'.
:-)  Here is what John December has to say in "Presenting Java".

        "...[Sun has] Ports underway for Microsoft Windows 95 and MacOS7.5.
Ports are underway in third party projects for other platforms and operating
systems, including Windows 3.1, Amiga, NeXT, Silicon Graphics, and Linux."

I wish to point out that computer programmers will often take on a project
just because no one else has.  People have ported UNIX tools and different
programming languages to all different platforms because of their utility,
with no desire to make a profit from their labors (MacPerl comes immediately
to mind, but just because I use it).  Linux is a completely user supported
freeware versiion of the _entire_  UNIX operating system, so its not just
small tools that get ported.  All done just to prove that it could be.  It
is possible that something similar will happen with Java for Win3.x.
 "For my purpose holds to sail		Bill Crosbie
   beyond the sunset, and the baths	Microcomputer/Network Analyst
   of all the western stars,	  	Rutgers University-Chang Library
   until I die."    ~ Tennyson		crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
    					(908) 932-0305 x114