How about some Library Applets ?

William Oldfield wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 11 08:07:22 EST 1995

If all the servers had the Explain facility implemented the z39.50 applet
could request configuration information from each server and then create
the form and issue the search request.  Without the Explain facility it
will be a pain setting up and maintaining configuration files for z39.50
servers around the world.

At 3:39 PM 12/8/95, Allan Bell wrote:

>Using HotSIBIL as a guide, it is really not a very large step to
>imagine a Z39.50 applet.  Maybe it would use a gateway or client
>that has already been or is being developed, but it probably could
>be done as an applet.  If someone wrote an applet that could accept
>configurations for attibutes and structures for multiple databases
>or OPACs, we would have a very compelling product indeed.
>
>allan
>
> Allan Bell - Systems Librarian - University of Texas at Arlington
>Box 19497 Arlington Texas 76019-0497 - 817-273-3174 - fax 817-794-5797
>                        bell at library.uta.edu
>                     http://www.uta.edu/library/

William Oldfield (Networked Information Research Associate)
University of Waterloo Library            Phone: (519) 888-4567 Ext. 2461
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1         Email: wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca
UWELib:   http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/
Homepage: http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/~wroldfie/home.html